Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Yellow walls, dying flowers, and hospitality.

I've always wanted to have a fixer-upper. I've always loved having a project to work on and goal to work towards. But now that I have those, I find myself avoiding the projects. At first, it was just thrilling to make our house look like a home, but lately, we've hit a plateau. Several rooms look as finished as they will for years. Some rooms have been touched with nothing more than a crappy art paintbrush and various bright paint samples by me.

One of the reasons I have been so excited about having a house/home was using it for hospitality. And that's where the biggest blessing and biggest rebuke has been for me. Since I was old enough to notice what I was wiping my spaghetti-face on, I've wanted cloth napkins. Call me crazy, but I love them. I love fresh flowers. I love the idea of just chatting in the living room with friends over coffee. I love the thought of having friends in my home to share what I have.


While there is nothing wrong with sharing things, I'm learning that hospitality is not about sharing what I have, but sharing who Jesus is and what He offers.

Hospitality is not offering the best food.
Hospitality is not using cloth napkins.
Hospitality is not having every room painted.
Hospitality is not having enough seats for your guests.
Hospitality is not trying to impress others.
Hospitality is not apologizing for the mess.
Hospitality is not hurrying to wash the dirty dishes.
Hospitality is not feeling uncomfortable about the unfinished projects.
Hospitality is not entertainment.

Hospitality is not about offering a good experience, it's about offering Jesus. 

So when you see my house, I hope you see my heart too. I'm still learning. Learning to love because He loved; learning to welcome because He welcomed; and learning to invite because He invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment